India vs Afghanistan turned out to be an exciting affair, with the latter putting on a spirited batting performance against a strong Indian side.
Afghanistan posted a competitive total of 272/8 on the board, riding on a 122-run stand for the fourth wicket between Hashmatullah Shahidi and Azmatullah Omarzai. Shahidi played a brilliant knock of 80, whereas Omarzai also did well with an individual contribution of 62. In the Indian bowling front, Jasprit Bumrah was the pick of the bowlers with figures of 4/39 to his name.
The target could have been a challenging one for India, but skipper Rohit Sharma led from the front with a brilliant knock of 131 from 84 deliveries. Virat Kohli also remained unbeaten on 55 and useful contributions of 47 and 25 from Ishan Kishan and Shreyas Iyer respectively helped India achieve the target with eight wickets in hand and 15 overs to spare.
India vs Afghanistan result: India win by eight wickets
India and Afghanistan locked horns in the 10th match of the ICC ODI World Cup 2023 at the Arun Jaitley Stadium in Delhi on October 11, with India emerging victorious by eight wickets.
- Afghanistan's innings was powered by excellent knocks of 80 and 62 from Hashmatullah Shahidi and Azmatullah Omarzai.
- Jasprit Bumrah recorded a brilliant spell, claiming outstanding bowling figures of 4/39 in his quota of 10 overs.
- India started their chase with a 156-run opening stand between Rohit Sharma and Ishan Kishan.
- Rohit Sharma broke Sachin Tendulkar's record for the most hundreds (seven) scored in ODI World Cup history.
- Rohit also recorded the fastest century (63 balls) by an Indian player in ODI World Cup history.
- After playing a match-winning knock of 84 in the previous match against Australia, Virat Kohli remained unbeaten on 55 again.
- Rashid Khan was the only Afghan bowler with wickets to his name in this match. He registered figures of 2/57 in his eight overs.
Man of the Match | India vs Afghanistan Result
India skipper Rohit Sharma was adjudged the Man of the Match for his breathtaking knock of 131 from 84 deliveries. Rohit started his innings on an aggressive note and brought up his fifty in just 30 deliveries. He took 33 more deliveries to complete his century and etched his name in the record books by shattering as many as three World Cup records.
The 36-year-old was involved in a 156-run stand with Ishan Kishan. He smashed 16 fours and five sixes during the course of his knock. In the process, he also shattered Chris Gayle's record of hitting the most number of sixes in international cricket.
He was going all guns blazing, but he was finally cleaned up by Rashid Khan in the 26th over of the innings. India required only 68 more runs to win by then, and the job was done with utmost ease by Kohli and Shreyas Iyer.
India vs Afghanistan final scorecard
Afghanistan posted a total of 272/8 in 50 overs, with significant contributions of 80 and 62 from Hashmatullah Shahidi and Azmatullah Omarzai respectively. Jasprit Bumrah led India's bowling charge with excellent figures of 4/39.
India chased down 283 with eight wickets and 15 overs remaining. The credit goes to Rohit Sharma's brilliant 131, and an unbeaten 55 from Virat Kohli. India have now won both of their first two matches of this World Cup. They will face Pakistan next on Sunday.
Afghanistan innings: 272-8 (50 Overs)
|Gurbaz||c Thakur b Pandya||21|
|I Zadran||c Rahul b Bumrah||22|
|Rahmat||lbw b Thakur||16|
|Shahidi||lbw b Kuldeep||80|
|Nabi||lbw b Bumrah||19|
|Najibulllah||c Kohli b Bumrah||2|
|Rashid||c Kuldeep b Bumrah||16|
India innings: 273-2 (35 Overs)
|Kishan||c I Zadran b Rashid||47|