The Bangladesh vs India result turned out to be an unexpected one as the Tigers punched above their weight. In a nail-biting encounter that went down to the last two balls, Bangladesh pulled off a stunning 6-run victory over India in the Super 4 stage of the Asia Cup 2023. Despite Shubman Gill's valiant century, India fell short of the 266-run target set by Bangladesh. Gill's 121 off 133 balls was the cornerstone of India's chase, but he found little support from the other end.
KL Rahul was the only other batsman who managed to stay with Gill, contributing 57 runs for the third wicket. Bangladesh's bowling was clinical, led by Mahedi Hasan who took crucial wickets. Earlier, Bangladesh posted a competitive 265/8, thanks to important knocks from Shakib Al Hasan (80) and Towhid Hridoy (54). Shardul Thakur was the pick of the Indian bowlers with 3/65.
Bangladesh were on top of the game with the ball and until Shubman Gill started to accelerate in Axar Patel’s company, the Tigers appeared to be heading towards a win. However, the wicket of Gill put a halt on India’s charge. Axar Patel kept the game alive alongside Shardul Thakur, but the latter’s wicket late in the game once again put Bangladesh on top and cornered by pressure, Axar eventually holed out as Bangladesh won by six runs.
Bangladesh vs India result
Bangladesh clinched their first win over India in the Asia Cup since 2012, ending the tournament on a high note. Although the match was a dead rubber with India already through to the finals, the win adds a psychological edge for Bangladesh heading into the 2023 World Cup.
Bangladesh vs India Highlights
- Shubman Gill scored his fifth ODI century, but India fell short by 6 runs.
- Bangladesh's Shakib Al Hasan and Towhid Hridoy contributed 80 and 54 runs respectively.
- Mahedi Hasan's crucial wickets turned the game in Bangladesh's favor.
- Shardul Thakur was the most expensive yet effective Indian bowler with figures of 3/66.
- Axar Patel’s brilliant knock goes in vain
Man of the Match | Bangladesh vs India Result
The Man of the Match was Shakib Al Hasan, who showcased an all-round performance to guide Bangladesh to victory. His 80-run knock was instrumental in setting a challenging target for India, and his bowling figures of 1/43 in 10 overs were equally vital in restricting the Indian batting lineup. Shakib's experience and composure under pressure were evident as he took the crucial wicket of Suryakumar Yadav, effectively derailing India's chase. This performance adds another feather to Shakib's cap, solidifying his reputation as one of the finest all-rounders in the world of cricket. His efforts not only won him the Man of the Match award but also gives the team big confidence for the World up ahead.
Bangladesh vs India Scorecard
- Shakib Al Hasan (C): 80 runs off 85 balls
- Towhid Hridoy: 54 runs off 81 balls
- Total: 265/8 in 50 overs
- Shubman Gill: 121 runs off 133 balls
- Total: 259/10 in 49.5 overs
- Bangladesh: Tanzim Hasan Sakib 2 wickets for 32 runs, Mustafizur Rahman 3 wickets for 50 runs
- India: Mohammed Shami 2 wickets for 32 runs, Shardul Thakur 3 wickets for 65 runs