India vs Sri Lanka result went in favour of the Men in Blue after the two sides were involved in an enthralling Asia Cup 2023 Super Four encounter at the R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo on Tuesday, which India went on to win by 41 runs.
As per the forecast, the rain did make its presence felt during the game, but it didn’t stop the two teams from putting up their best show in the middle. However, in the end, Rohit Sharma and his men managed to qualify for the final of the tournament with a 41-run win.
After opting to bat first, India got off to a brilliant start courtesy of an 80-run stand between openers Rohit and Shubman Gill. However, Dunith Wellalage spun a web around the Indian batters as they collapsed to 213/10 by the end of their innings. The youngster bowled superbly and was well-supported by the other Charith Asalanka, who grabbed four wickets.
Middle-order batters KL Rahul and Ishan Kishan fought it out in the middle with a 63-run partnership for the fourth wicket. It was the first time in an ODI that India have lost all their ten wickets to spinners, with Maheesh Theekshana picking up one wicket as well.
In reply, Sri Lanka were reduced to 25/3 and then the spin duo of Kuldeep Yadav and Ravindra Jadeja took control of the innings. Wellalage fought lonely with the bat as well and was left stranded at one end, remaining unbeaten on 42. Sri Lanka were eventually bundled out for 172 runs in the 42nd over of the innings.
India vs Sri Lanka result: India win by 41 runs
India won their second match of the Super Four within 24 hours and have made it to the final of Asia Cup 2023. They will next face Bangladesh on Friday (September 15) who have been knocked out of the competition.
- India arrested Sri Lanka’s longest winning streak of 13 matches in ODIs.
- Kuldeep Yadav completed 150 wickets in ODI cricket with a stunning four-wicket haul. He returned with the figures of 4/43 in 9.3 overs.
- Rohit Sharma completed 10,000 runs in ODIs for India. He also became the second fastest to the milestone.
- Dunith Wellalage put up a fine all-round show in the match returning with figures of 5/40 and remaining unbeaten on 42 with the bat.
- This is the first time in ODI history that all 10 wickets in India’s batting innings were picked by spinners.
Man of the match | India vs Sri Lanka result
Despite Kuldeep Yadav’s stunning four-fer, Wellalage was awarded the Player of the Match for his stunning all-round show in a losing cause. The youngster is the one to watch out for in future for Sri Lanka as his left-arm spin bowling stunned India. He dismissed Rohit, Gill, Virat Kohli, Rahul and Hardik Pandya.
Moreover, his aggressive knock with the bat also kept Sri Lanka in the hunt.