The PAK vs NEP result could have been predicted pre-match given the gulf between the two teams, but it wasn’t quite that evident at the start of the game when Nepal put a leash on Pakistan in the Asia Cup 2023 opener. However, Pakistan showcased their cricketing prowess and experience by defeating Nepal by a staggering 238 runs in the end. The match was a testament to the overall quality in Pakistan's cricket team, led by Babar Azam.
After a shaky start, Babar Azam and Iftikhar Ahmed took charge, scoring centuries that propelled Pakistan to a mammoth score of 342/6 in 50 overs. Babar's 151 off 131 balls and Iftikhar's unbeaten 109 off 71 deliveries were the highlights of Pakistan's innings. In response, Nepal could only manage 104 runs before being bowled out. Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf, and Shadab Khan were the main architects of Nepal's downfall, picking up eight wickets between them. Shadab finished with four wickets while Shaheen took charge early on for Pakistan with two wickets in his first over.
PAK vs NEP result: Pakistan win by 238 runs
This win has given Pakistan a splendid start in the Asia Cup 2023, significantly boosting their position on the tournament points table. They earned a net run rate of +4.760 for the win over Nepal.
- Babar Azam's scintillating 151 off 131 balls, his 19th ODI hundred, helping him go level with pakistan greats Javed Miandad and Saeed Anwar on international century count
- Iftikhar Ahmed's rapid unbeaten 109 off 71 deliveries was his maiden ODI century and came at a crucial juncture for Pakistan.
- Pakistan's massive win margin of 238 runs was built on the back of a splendid batting recovery with Babar and Iftikhar stitching the highest fifth-wicket partnership (214 runs) for Pakistan in ODIs.
- Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf, and Shadab Khan collectively took eight wickets between them in the game.
Man of the Match | Pak vs NEP Result
Babar Azam was undoubtedly the star of the match. His 151 off 131 balls was a masterclass in ODI batting. After Pakistan found themselves struggling at 25-2, Babar took charge and navigated the innings with finesse and aggression. His innings included a variety of shots, showcasing his complete repertoire. Not only did he stabilize the innings, but he also accelerated at the right moments to ensure Pakistan posted a formidable total. His performance was not just a game-changer but also a statement of intent for the rest of the tournament. Babar Azam's innings will be remembered as one of the finest in Asia Cup history.
PAK vs NEP Final Scorecard
|Babar Azam (C)||151||131||14||4||115.27|
Total: 342-6 (50 Ov)
|Aasif Sheikh (WK)||5||5||1||0||100.00|
|Rohit Paudel (C)||0||1||0||0||0.00|
|Dipendra Singh Airee||3||11||0||0||27.27|
Total: 104-10 (23.4 Ov)
- Pakistan: Shaheen Afridi 5-0-27-2, Naseem Shah 5-0-17-1, Haris Rauf 5-1-16-2, Shadab Khan 6.4-0-27-4, Mohammad Nawaz 2-0-13-1
- Nepal: Sompal Kami 10-1-85-2, Karan KC 9-0-54-1, Gulsan Jha 4-0-35-0, Rajbanshi 10-0-48-0, Lamichhane 10-0-69-1, Dipendra Singh 6-0-40-0