Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) is one of the three teams who have not won IPL even once in the IPL history since 2008. However, despite that fact, RCB has had some of the biggest cricketing names featuring in their line-ups over the years. A team that presents a lot of hope to its fans before every IPL season, RCB has failed to cross the final hurdle after thrice making it to the IPL final. Historically, RCB has been a batting powerhouse, and as a result, have earned a list of various IPL records to their name.
Here, we take a look at the list of records held by Team RCB in the IPL history in the last twelve years:
- 1 1. Highest Team Total in IPL- 263/5 vs Pune Warriors India in 2013
- 2 2. Highest Individual IPL score – 175* by Chris Gayle vs PWI 2013
- 3 3. Most IPL matches for the same franchise – Virat Kohli (200+ matches for RCB)
- 4 4. Lowest Team total in IPL- 49 vs KKR in 2017
- 5 5. Most runs for a single team in IPL- Virat Kohli
- 6 6. Highest partnership in IPL- AB De Villiers and Virat Kohli (229 runs vs GL in 2016)
- 7 7. Most runs as Captain in the IPL – Virat Kohli
1. Highest Team Total in IPL- 263/5 vs Pune Warriors India in 2013
In Match 31 of the 2013 IPL edition, RCB produced one of the most stunning batting onslaughts ever in the history of T20 cricket. The now-defunct Pune Warriors India was on the receiving end after captain Aaron Finch won the toss inserted RCB to bat first. However, what followed was absolute carnage with Chris Gayle being the chief tormentor with an unbeaten inning of 175 at the M.Chinnaswamy Stadium. In doing so, RCB also registered a total of 263/5 making it the highest team total in the IPL history.
ALSO READ List of all-time IPL stats and Records
2. Highest Individual IPL score – 175* by Chris Gayle vs PWI 2013
While RCB claimed the highest ever team total against Pune in IPL 2013, Chris Gayle created history to register the highest individual score in IPL. The Jamaican scored an unbelievable 175* to propel RCB to a total of 263 runs in their 20 overs. Gayle's 175* was not only the highest individual score in IPL but also became the highest individual T20 score by any batsman.
3. Most IPL matches for the same franchise – Virat Kohli (200+ matches for RCB)
In the ongoing IPL 2020, Virat Kohli unlocked a huge milestone of playing most T20 matches for the same franchise. In Match 31 against Kings XI Punjab in the ongoing IPL, Kohli played his 200th match for Royal Challengers Bangalore. In all, he has played 186 IPL matches for RCB along with 15 appearances in the CLT20. He went past James Hildreth who had played 196 games for Somerset.
4. Lowest Team total in IPL- 49 vs KKR in 2017
RCB has been at both ends of the tunnel. While they registered the highest IPL team total in IPL 2013, the Kohli-led side skittled to the lowest team total in IPL 2017 against KKR. Chasing 132 runs to win, RCB was bowled out for a total of 49, the lowest ever team score in IPL history. It is one of the unfortunate records held by RCB in the IPL.
ALSO READ Virat Kohli IPL records
5. Most runs for a single team in IPL- Virat Kohli
Virat Kohli has scored the most runs in IPL history and all of those runs have come while playing for RCB. Since making his debut for RCB in 2008, he has featured in 186 IPL games for them and has scored 5759 runs for them at an average of 38.65 with five centuries. Taking CLT20 exploits (424 runs) into account, Kohli has scored 6140 runs which are by far the most a player has scored for a single IPL franchise.
6. Highest partnership in IPL- AB De Villiers and Virat Kohli (229 runs vs GL in 2016)
It is a rare occurrence that two players of the same team scoring centuries but the duo of Kohli and De Villiers made sure that this feat was achieved in IPL 2017. While Virat made 109 runs, De Villers smashed 12 sixes in his knock of 129 and in the process of stitching a massive partnership of 229 runs which is the highest partnership in IPL and the second-highest in T20 cricket.
7. Most runs as Captain in the IPL – Virat Kohli
RCB skipper Virat Kohli also holds the record for most runs as captain in the IPL. In IPL 2013, Kohli was handed over the RCB reigns as a full-time leader. In IPL 2020, Kohli surpassed Dhoni's tally of most runs as captain in the IPL. This is indeed is an IPL record for RCB given Kohli has captained all his matches in the IPL for the Bengaluru-based franchise.