Royal Challengers Bangalore has undoubtedly been a team that has underachieved in all these years at the IPL. With some of the best players featuring in their ranks, RCB has often failed to deliver results in the last twelve years at the IPL. However, with one of the strongest fan base, the team has never failed to entertain their fans despite a certain heartbreak at the end of each IPL edition.
ALSO READ List of records held by RCB in the IPL
The Red-Army has definitely made it to the history books some of the most interesting records ever achieved by their players in the IPL. Here's a look at 10 Unknown, Interesting and Unheard facts and records held by RCB in the history of the IPL:
- 1 1. Highest Team Total in IPL history – 263/5
- 2 2. Highest Paid cricketer in IPL history – Virat Kohli
- 3 3. Most IPL centuries for any team – 13
- 4 4. Most Sixes hit by a team in the IPL – 1131
- 5 5. Most Runs in an IPL season – Virat Kohli (973 runs in 2016)
- 6 6. Most 200+ scores for any IPL team – 10
- 7 7. Most 200+ partnership for any team in IPL- 4
- 8 8. Fastest IPL century – Chris Gayle (RCB vs Pune Warriors India)
- 9 9. Most losses for an IPL franchise under the same captain – Virat Kohli
- 10 10. Lowest Team Total in IPL history
1. Highest Team Total in IPL history – 263/5
Virat Kohli-led RCB created history in IPL 2013 when the saw the M.Chinnaswamy Stadium on fire with their berserk batting display. RCB was up against the now-defunct Pune Warriors India, who just ran into an outrageous Chris Gayle show in Bengaluru. RCB racked up 263 runs in their 20 overs to claim historic feat for the highest team total in the IPL. Gayle smashed 175 runs to make the major contribution in RCB's record total.
2. Highest Paid cricketer in IPL history – Virat Kohli
RCB skipper Virat Kohli is the highest ever paid cricketer in the history of the Indian Premier League (IPL). Kohl was retained by the franchise in the mega IPL auction in 2018 for a whopping IPL salary of INR 17 crores. As a result, Kohli became the highest-paid player in the history of the league.
3. Most IPL centuries for any team – 13
Another interesting fact which might not surprise most of the IPL fans. Royal Challengers Bangalore have a record of most IPL centuries ever scored by any team in the IPL. With 13 centuries by RCB players in the IPL, the Bangalore-based franchise rules the list for most IPL centuries. Chris Gayle has had a major contribution with five IPL tons while playing for RCB.
4. Most Sixes hit by a team in the IPL – 1131
Over the years, RCB has featured some of the best stroke makers in the IPL. With short boundaries in Bengaluru, their players have aced the art of six-hitting. There's no surprise why RCB has managed to hit most sixes in the IPL. With 1131 sixes, they certainly top the charts in terms of most hits outside the park.
5. Most Runs in an IPL season – Virat Kohli (973 runs in 2016)
In IPL 2016, RCB skipper Virat Kohli achieved an unheard feat when he scored nearly 1ooo runs in a single edition of the league. He managed to score 973 runs for his franchise and single-handedly guided his team to the IPL final. However, they failed to go past Sunrisers Hyderabad and lost out the final battle. However, it was a season to remember both for Kohli and RCB.
6. Most 200+ scores for any IPL team – 10
RCB also boasts of another interesting record with most 200+ team totals in the IPL history. The team has gone past the 200-run mark on 10 occasions in the 12 seasons so far. In the upcoming IPL edition, the RCB fans would hope that their team can post many more such totals in a match-winning cause.
7. Most 200+ partnership for any team in IPL- 4
In the past few years at the IPL, RCB batting has relied on a couple of their key batters on most occasions. The franchise has been leading in terms of most 200+ partnerships in the IPL. With three such partnerships, RCB is the only team to have more than one 200+ partnership. Otherwise, Kings XI Punjab is the only other team to have featured in a 200-run partnership for any wicket.
8. Fastest IPL century – Chris Gayle (RCB vs Pune Warriors India)
While RCB scored the highest team total in the IPL history, it was Chris Gayle who created history with the fastest century in IPL history. Gayle smacked 175 runs off just 66 balls. Out of which he scored the first hundred runs in just 30 balls.
9. Most losses for an IPL franchise under the same captain – Virat Kohli
Virat Kohli has had some tough times while captaining the team since 2011. The skipper has captained RCB in 55 lost games, which is most for any team under the same captain. Kohli has a winning percentage of 47.16%, which is least for a captain in more than 100 matches.
10. Lowest Team Total in IPL history
The day when RCB registered the highest team total in IPL history, also saw them register the lowest IPL team total in 2017. Exactly four years after they claimed history in 2013, RCB slumped to 49 all-out against KKR at Eden Gardens. It was a disastrous night for the franchise and an unwanted record attained by the Red-army.